Saturday, August 27, 2011

the help.

Guess who's on a string of good books? ME! Though they are super late, much like the July entries, the August reviews were good books!! YAAAY! First up, The Help, a book everyone and their mama has probably read by now. I purchased it as a gift for a friend for her birthday in January. When I started seeing previews for the movie, I asked if I could borrow it and made quick work of it, despite the fact that the hardcover version looks like it's 2930 pages.

The Help isn't my normal fare, as you can tell by the reviews here, but I do so enjoy reading books that are made into movies. I really liked this book, down to the author's acknowledgement at the end about her feelings writing in the voice of black women. I thought it was a strong debut novel from Kathryn Stockett.

The story is told from three POVs (two black maids and one white young lady), but is mostly based around Aibileen. It covers how black Americans were treated in the 1960s while we went through the Civil Rights Movement, how the maids in particular were treated, what they did... It touches on a lot of subjects in it's 2930 pages. The book made me angry at several parts, but with a topic like that, it's going to evoke that response if it's done anywhere close to right. I liked it, at least in part because you don't always get a book like that, or maybe it would be more accurate to say that I don't often read books like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment